The Ships of Nemi have aroused the human curiosity for centuries. Since the fifteenth century, some men tried to recover the huge ships, but only in the '30s of 1900 the hulls were recovered with an incredible task never attempted before. The lake was drained with pumps that led the water into an old effluent of the sixth century B.C. still working. After two thousand years the two ships surfaced again. They were then placed in a specially built museum on the banks of the lake, but during the Second World War, a fire completely destroyed the ships. Today there are only few fragments of iron and bronze and few decorations. We made a 15 minutes video with digital reconstructions to show the recovery attempt techniques over the centuries till the effective recovery and preservation of the ships in the '30s. The video is currently displayed in the "Museum of Roman Ships" of Nemi and in the "National Roman Museum" in Rome.
Client: Archaeological Superintendency of Rome and Lazio
Scientific advice: Filippo Avilia
Director: Carlo Cestra